Dec 5, 2011

An introduction to the blog

Yes, another baking blog, oh bother.  Since I've become a stay-at-home mom I've become addicted to food blogs...I think it has mostly to do with the bloggers dry sense humor, their drool-inducing photography, the originality and use of quirky ingredients in the market, and of course the inspiration it brings to my own kitchen.  My husband on the other hand complains that the dry cleaner keeps shrinking his clothes...no it had nothing to do with the Captain Crunch Brownies/Black Chocolate Espresso cookies/French Apple Tart I made all within a couple of days...tee-hee-hee.



With my new found obsession of food blogs, I thought to myself, well why don't you give it a try?  But I thought, what can YOU bring to the table that others already haven't?  Why should people trust you with their precious 70 % dark chocolate baking chips?  You have no professional experience and only know how to bake because of the endless episodes of Mrs. Fields you watched growing up on the Food Network. 

Well, let me back up now for a minute.  Last summer shortly before I found out I was pregnant I had made up my mind I was going back to school.  At age 30.  Yes, I was going to pastry school in Paris.  I was going to leave Dubai, pack up and move to a country that I've never been to, and oh did I mention I don't speak French.  And French people just love that about Americans don't they?  I pulled this little 'adventure' once in my life when I left Las Vegas and moved to the middle east, and here we were at it again.  I decided life was too short, this is what I wanted and nothing would stop me!  Oops, a baby would.  So here we are with an 8 month old and no pastry degree.  It's okay, I love my son more than anything in the world and wouldn't change my life for a thing.  BUT I do think about my dream often, wishing I had another chance.


So, back to reality and where the idea for this blog originated.  I want to bake.  I want to learn why I should add sugar to butter and how long should you really 'mix till fluffy.'  I want to know why baking powder AND baking soda.  I want to learn how to bake bread (without a machine that has a 'start' button) but from scratch with my own two hands.  I want to frost a cake that would make Martha Stewart proud.  I want to discover the science and fundamentals of baking, and more than likely have a few disasters along the way.  I am going to teach myself  how baking works and share my knowledge with you.  I want this to be an interactive blog where you can teach me too!  I want to showcase my successes and my failures and get your feedback.  I believe there are many of us out there that love to bake and have a true passion for it, but for far too long have just followed recipes without understanding the steps.

My goal of this Blog is to educate myself, to educate you and have a lot of laughs at my own expense...god I hope no tears, although it wouldn't be the first time I cried over frosting that didn't turn out and sobbing 'what am I going to take to the bbq now, I'm such a failure boo-hoo-hoo everyone is expecting my brownies, waaaaa!' (that's a Snookie waaaaa by the way)

With that said, welcome to Pastry School Diaries.

1 comment:

  1. The dry cleaner is always shrinking my clothing as well! :P

    Food blogging is wonderful...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete