Apr 24, 2012

Bailey's & Butterscotch Fudge


If you're one of those people who have ever eaten a dessert and said 'oh that's too sweet I can't eat this' aka my husband, then this recipe is not for you.

This one is for the die-hards.  The serious-sweet-tooth fanatics.  You know come to think of it I have never eaten something so sweet I couldn't finish it...but that's not saying much since I've been known to eat brown sugar straight from the bag.

Anyway.  This recipe is g-r-e-a-t.  But in small doses. 

And you know I just LOVE to make anything that calls for booze as an ingredient.  Whoo-Freakin-Hoo.

Thank God my mom was here when I prepared this.  She is the Queen of Fudge.  She usually makes it every year at Christmas and gives it away as gifts.  Screw fruitcake!

She made sure I stirred...and stirred...and stirred.  Because the key to fudge is, yep you got it, stirring.  Oh and she also realized that I forgot to add the third cup of sugar.  She could tell the mixture was too thin and would never set.

Here is our conversation:

Mom: Gina this is not thick enough.

Me: Mom I'm following the recipe.

Mom: Gina this is not thick enough.

Me: ::sigh::

Mom: This is not thick enough and it won't set up.  

Me: Well I don't know I'm following the recipe.

Mom: (looking at the recipe) did you add all 3 cups of sugar?

Me: (silent) uhh...I think so (but really thinking damn it how could I miss that)

Moral of the story. Mother's are always right.  Always.  Go call your Mom and tell her you love her.


Bailey's & Butterscotch Fudge
for a printable version click here

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup Bailey's Irish Cream (any flavor, I used Coffee)
1 tablespoon instant coffee crystals or instant espresso
1 7oz. jar marshmallow fluff
1 bag butterscotch chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions: 

In a small bowl combine the Bailey's and coffee/espresso granules.  Microwave for about 30 seconds or until melted and dissolved.  I had to stir and re-heat a few times until they were fully melted.  Don't go crazy waiting for it to dissolve, if you have a few small crystals that are being stubborn it's okay. 


In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt together the butter, evaporated milk, sugar, and marshmallow cream.


The marshmallow cream will take some time to break down, just keep stirring.


Slowly add the Bailey's mixture and whisk constantly for about 5 minutes.  The whisking helps melt the sugar so when you bite into the fudge later it won't have a grainy texture.

The mixture will thicken and bubble like this:


Remove from heat and add the butterscotch chips and vanilla.  Stir for about 3 minutes or until all the chips have melted and the mixture is smooth. 



Pour into a foil lined 8 x 8 pan. 


Chill until set.  Lift fudge from the pan using the foil, peel back and cut into squares.

Enjoy!


recipe courtesy of Just a Pinch

No comments:

Post a Comment