Aug 31, 2012

Raspberry & Dark Chocolate Chunk Scones






 
The first scone I had ever tried in my life was one of those maple oat scones from Starbucks.  I know very traditional, right?  They are so completely laden with sugar, have the taste of a donut, and the texture of a doorstop.
 
I believe scones are a British classic that should be enjoyed as intended.  Plain, buttery, and soft in texture, loaded with clotted cream and jam, khalas (Arabic for 'and that's it' typically used about 5 times in any given sentence)  Anything else would be like the brits making a tofu version of fish and chips...it's just not something to mess with. 
 
With that said I took a classic scone recipe and added raspberries and dark chocolate chunks.  What can I say, I am a Starbucks girl at heart.
 
You can easily leave these two ingredients out and have yourself a lovely, plain scone which would be totally fine.  But in my house they'd end up getting pushed to the back of the fridge behind the cocktail olives and would camp out there for years.  I had to fussy them up, I couldn't help it.
 
For my British friends and readers, if you have a family recipe or one that you think would top this, please send and I will post.  I'd love to hear your variations and advice for making the perfect scone.  Mine turned out a bit flat and dense...maybe I rolled the dough too thin?  Or maybe it's better to use self-raising flour?  Please help this poor Yank.
 
Raspberry & Dark Chocolate Chunk Scones
makes about eight 4" scones
 
Ingredients:
 
200 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
60 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
140-150 ml buttermilk (I used 150 ml and the dough was extremely sticky, next time I would start with 140 ml and add additional if needed)
3/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (chocolate chips would be fine also)
For brushing, 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk
Serve with clotted cream (thank you Zoe) and raspberry jam
 
*this is the FIRST recipe I've ever shared in metric.  I also worked in metric when preparing the scones and WOW it really is more convenient than our US measuring system (cups, ounces) so long as you have a kitchen scale.  The accuracy far supersedes our little cup system.  By measuring by weight and not volume, you are guaranteed precise measurements every time. 
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (425 F) and line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
 
In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Pulse for a few seconds to combine.  Add the cubes of cold butter.
 
 
Pulse the food processor a few times to incorporate the cubes of butter.  The consistency should be grainy and the remaining lumps of butter should be smaller than a pea.

 
Transfer mixture to a medium sized bowl and add the raspberries and chocolate.

 
Mix to combine.

 
Add the milk and combine with a wooden spoon.  If you find your mixture is too wet, slowly add more flour, no more than 1 tablespoon at a time.

 
Transfer dough to a well floured surface and knead quickly, about 3 to 4 times.  Do not over work the dough or the scones will become chewy after baking.  Pat into a round disc, about 3cm high (1.25") 

 
Using a cookie cutter, cut out scones and transfer to the baking sheet.  Re-roll the remaining dough and cut out additional scones.  I didn't have a round cookie cutter so I used this metal wine glass...did the trick!

 
Lightly beat the egg yolk and milk together and brush the tops of the scones.  Bake for 13-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Move baking sheet to a wire rack to cool.

 
Serve warm with the clotted cream and jam.  Also try to share, I know it's difficult.

 
Enjoy!
 
Recipe slighty adapted from Delicious Days
 

No comments:

Post a Comment